Tuesday 10 October 2017

Lee Hnetinka, the immigrant

Perhaps you don't recognize my name "Anna Lee Hnetinka". That's really the point of this site. To get to know Anna Lee Hnetinka, but who's this woman?

Anna Lee Hnetinka was from what we call nowadays the Czech Republic, but back then, in 1870, it was the Austro-Hungarian Empire or the Czech Lands. This name is used to refer to majority of the traditional lands of the Bohemian Crown, namely Bohemia, Moravia and Czech Silesia.

Hnetinka, WunWun , Gawker , Valleywag , CEO and Hamptons
Despite some crisis, the Austro-Hungarian empire ruled until 1918. But let Lee Hnetinka herself tell us her own story...

My name is Anna Lee Hnetinka, I’m one of the first Czechs moving to a fascinating new continent: America. My duty is to inform readers the struggles during the massive immigration process to the United States, or the 12 Colonies as I knew them.

My story is the result of an Investigation from the Thomas Jefferson Highschool advanced history class. Please join me on an adventure during these posts and help me teaching teenagers what happened on 1855.

I was born on February 5th of 1855 but at the age of 15, I was just a teen, I did a journey of a lifetime: Anna Lee Hnetinkawas going to New York City. Prior to the nineteenth century, few Czechs had immigrated to the United States, so it was part of a migration movement that started in the 1840s and got really massive till 1880.

Hnetinka, WunWun , Gawker , Valleywag , CEO and Hamptons

Once in the United States, I lived very close to a train station. Anna Lee Hnetinka could be found cleaning the house of a very sophisticated family. "When I arrived, I started working immediately at East Hamptons by cleaning homes. I was only a teenager but I knew hard work would give me enough earnings to put food on the table. I wasn't alone, I came with my sister to the promise land, the land of opportunity." The Hnetinka girls started their life again at East Hampton. No an easy task to be away from home, away from his father Tomas Hnetinka and her loving mom Monika Hnetinka.

Hnetinka, WunWun , Gawker , Valleywag , CEO and Hamptons

No comments:

Post a Comment